Photo courtesy Nate Dunford Photography

February 25, 1974~July 3, 2010

Amy is a 36 year old mother of 6.

On April 15th, 2010, she was diagnosed with a rare and terminal cancer: Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma.

Surrounded by her family and friends, she is determined to face her future with faith, hope, courage and love.


Surrounded by her family, and with Gary by her side, Amy passed away in the early morning hours of July 3rd, 2010. Just a short 2 1/2 months after being diagnosed with cancer.

Monday, June 21, 2010

A Little Family Outing

Amy was able to enjoy a day out with her family on Friday. 
This is how Gary described it:

"Amy has been talking for weeks about how much she wanted to see Toy Story 3. The other day, she said that she would just have to hope to live long enough for it to come out on DVD. Not so... Her nurse suggested that we make one more attempt to get her out of the house.
She suggested that though it may not be easy, she thought if we were careful, it could be done.

Well... it was definitely possible. This afternoon we were able to get Amy out of the house to go see the movie. It wasn't easy especially on Amy, but we did it. Amy got to see the movie she has been looking so forward to. She did really well though it was very painful to move her and she said she will probably not want to leave the house again, she said it was worth it. As for the movie, it was GREAT. We laughed and cried, Well of course I didn't cry. (what do you think I am a bawl baby?). It was a very good movie.

Now you might think that going to the movie was enough... you would be wrong... Amy said if I am going to have to go through all this trouble... I am going to make it worth my while. So... we went to dinner at Prestwich Farms. Yumm!! I ate way too much. But, we weren't done yet. Next, Amy decided she wanted to go to my softball game. So she did. She spent several hours out of the house, enjoyed some sun, and got some fresh air. It was not easy getting her back in her bed... and it was painful, but we finally got her comfortable and she is sleeping peacefully now.


What an amazing day, what an amazing woman. With two broken hips, and cancer throughout her whole body, she is still going strong and determined to enjoy life. I'm sure it was good for her to get out at least one more time, but it was soooo wonderful for me to see her out and enjoying time away from her bed. I think it was so good for her spirits. I know it was good for mine. I hope she may feel up to trying to get out again... but... time will tell.

She is an amazing person. What has been the neatest thing for me to watch has been how she has been so blessed when she has needed it. I know that she has had Angels with her, strengthening her and helping her in times of need. I have witnessed one miracle after another throughout this whole ordeal. Amy has spent her life in service. And now I know that the Lord will grant her all the strength and comfort she needs through this trial. If we could all be like Amy, the world would be so much more an amazing place to dwell on."

3 comments:

  1. Hello. My name is Kira Carter, I am the chairman for the Santaquin City Orchard Days Parade. Amy has been chosen for the Grand Marshal of the parade. I am familiar with her story but would love to meet with you about her. I need to do a write up about her in the Payson paper Orchard Days edition. I do not want to bother her or take up her precious time. Will you please contact me. Kirastamp@sfcn.org Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following this blog the last while and although I haven't yet commented, I wanted to on this one for some reason. It makes me smile with tears in my eyes to know that you were able to have this outing and I continue to be amazed with Amy's strength and attitude with everything she faces. I haven't seen Amy in close to probably 9 years, but I've never, ever forgotten how nice she's always been, particularly through a very difficult and emotional time for me personally, she made me feel better about myself. NO words would be sufficient for what I'm feeling for your family, so I honestly am not going to try other than I want to say Thank you to Amy. That even seems silly, but... thank you. Thank you for never judging, seeing the best in everyone, treating everyone as if they were your closest friend, for all you've done for the city, for what you've done for the schools my nieces and nephews have attended and for giving my nephew Jake some of the best memories of his childhood. Taylor and Jake playing together as little boys are some of my fondest memories too and I smile just thinking about it.

    I've struggled with the ability to pray for many years, but I've found myself praying for your family to be at peace throughout this difficult trial and pray for your comfort with what you face in the future. And thank you for taking the time to keep this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you were able to enjoy another family outing! Amy IS a strong person and will continue to bless lives. I love her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Amy is truly uplifted by all the words of love and encouragement you share.